Top tips on looking after your braces
When it comes to getting your braces fitted your dentist or orthodontist should advise you on how to look after your braces.
For the first few days after your brace has been fitted, your teeth will probably feel a little tender, especially when any pressure is applied to the teeth. This is normal and will get better soon, usually within 3-4 days.
Brushing your teeth is just as important, if not more, when you are wearing braces because food can get stuck in the brackets and arch wires. To care for your braces properly and to help reduce the amount of plaque that can build up on your teeth, follow our top tips on how to look after your braces.
Top tips for looking after your braces
- Clean your teeth carefully after every meal and snack
- Make sure to clean all surfaces of your teeth
- If you have been fitted with fixed braces, be sure to clean each bracket individually
- If you are wearing removable braces, take these out to make brushing and flossing easier
- Be sure to clean your removable braces as well as your own teeth
- Use an orthodontist-recommended toothbrush or an electric toothbrush with an orthodontic-approved head
- Floss at least once a day
- Use a fluoride mouthwash daily
- Avoid sugar and fizzy drinks and stick to water or fizzy water
- Avoid hard, chewy and sticky food and sweets, as foods like this can cause breakages to the brace. Try replacing this with fruit or snacks such as raisins
For more information on dental products and for advice on helping you stick to a daily oral health hygiene routine speak to one of the team at Bamboo Dental or visit our facebook page to discuss your favourite tips and products for keeping your mouth and teeth clean when wearing braces.