Teeth whitening is the subject of many curious individuals aiming to improve their smile.Our award winning dental practice in Cardiff loves to help our patients wherever possible and that is why we have written up this comprehensive list of frequently asked questions.
Teeth Whitening Made Simple: Frequently Asked Questions
Teeth whitening is the subject of many curious individuals aiming to improve their smile.Our award winning dental practice in Cardiff loves to help our patients wherever possible and that is why we have written up this comprehensive list of frequently asked questions about teeth whitening.
1. I've heard that only dentists are eligible to perform teeth whitening treatment, is this right?
This is correct with a few exceptions. Dentists can perform the treatments as well as a few other dental care professionals. In full; dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists and clinical dental technicians working to the prescription of a dentist are legally able to perform a teeth whitening treatment.
2. Is it illegal for beauticians to perform teeth whitening?
Yes. A high court case was fought between the GDC and Jamous which concluded by stating that teeth whitening should only be performed by dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists and clinical dental technicians working to the prescription of a dentist. It is illegal and unsafe for any other person to perform these types of treatments.
3. Is teeth whitening bad for my enamel?
No permanent damage will be caused to your teeth due to undergoing a teeth whitening treatment.
4. Can anyone get a whitening treatment?
Not everyone is an ideal candidate for teeth whitening and each case must be looked at independently but please see the descriptions below for a good and bad candidate for teeth whitening.
- Good candidate:Tooth whitening is ideal for patients who have healthy, unrestored teeth. Generally, you will see better results if you have no fillings. It is also representative of a good candidate if your gums are healthy. Those patients with yellow stains on their teeth respond most effectively to their teeth whitening treatment. If you would like to find out if you are a good candidate then please feel free to contact Bamboo Dental in Cardiff.
- Bad Candidate: There are a few factors that make a potential patient not ideal for a tooth whitening treatment. Teeth whitening is not suggested for those under the age of 16 due to the stage in development of your teeth. Pregnant women are not recommended to undertake the treatment. Those with gum disease, exposed roots, fillings and worn enamel may suffer from higher sensitivity to the treatment due to the fact that the teeth whitening solution will penetrate deep into the tooth.
5. What types of tooth whitening treatments are available?
Philips Zoom is the number 1 requested professional teeth whitening treatment in the United Kingdom with over 10 million patients already using the service to achieve brighter, healthier smiles.Philips Zoom is only available at a dental practice such as Bamboo Dental in Cardiff. The reason for this is to ensure optimum safety. The treatment comes in different types and strengths to fit your lifestyle and sensitivity.
Professional Home Teeth Whitening:
With this option you cam maintain your whitening treatment at home with Philips Zoom NiteWhite and DayWhite. The names are self-explanatory in that you have the choice of whitening your teeth during the day or whilst you are sleeping. This procedure can take two weeks to give you the bright white smile that you desire but is a cheaper option that the in-practice option below.
Philips Zoom Laser Whitening:
Philips Zoom WhiteSpeed is a scientifically advanced teeth whitening procedure. Those deciding to opt for this treatment will come in to the dental practice in Cardiff for 4 x 15 minute sessions. This teeth whitening treatment is ideal for anyone looking for immediate results. The procedure uses cutting edge LED whitening technology that yields incredibly effective results.
6. How much does tooth whitening cost?
The price of treatment can vary from dental practice to dental practice. Bamboo Dental are very transparent about their prices, you can see their price list to get an idea of the costs involved with each tooth whitening treatment. You may be surprised how affordable it is!
7. Can teeth whitening affect fillings, veneers and crowns?
Teeth whitening will have very little to zero whitening effects on restorative components such as; fillings, veneers and crowns. However, the teeth whitening solution can temporarily reduce the bond strength between the tooth and the restorative material. Hence it is advisable to consult your dentist before undertaking any form of tooth whitening treatment.
8. Can I use a whitening toothpaste instead?
The difference between a professional teeth whitening and a whitening toothpaste is that the toothpaste generally just cleans up surface stains rather than changing the actual colour of your tooth surfaces. There may be some visible results but the teeth are not actually being whitened and so the results will be much less effective and take a much longer amount of time compared to if you had chosen to opt for a professional service. Hopefully any questions you had regarding tooth whitening have now been answered! If you do still have a question then please feel free to contact Bamboo Dental either at our surgery based at:
28 Cowbridge Road West, Cardiff, CF5 5BS.
Alternatively, feel free to contact us through our website or by giving us a quick call on:029 2056 9769.