Come and join the Bamboo team at Cardiff Bay Retail Park on Saturday, August 30th on behalf of the Mouth Cancer Foundation.
Dan will be examining patient’s mouths for free in a mobile clinic in the retail park car park to help raise the awareness of Mouth Cancer.
Mouth Cancer is something that many people in the UK are unaware of and with the number of cases expected to double within the next few years, more needs to be done to educate the public.
Dan said: “Educating as many people within our community as possible about the risk factors, as well as the early warning signs, will help us win the fight against mouth cancer in the long run.
“I will be examining patients for free at the mobile dental clinic and I hope to see lots people taking this seriously by attending regular dental checkups. Come down and join us to find out how you can prevent mouth cancer.”
The event will run from 9am.
Mouth cancers are becoming more common in people in the UK over the age of 40. This increase in mouth cancer cases is particularly high in men, although research shows that mouth cancer is also on the rise in women and younger patients. There are, on average, almost 6,500 new cases of mouth cancer diagnosed in the UK each year and this figure is expected to increase.
Over 1,900 people in the UK die from mouth cancer every year. Many of these deaths could be prevented if the cancer was discovered early enough. Statistically, death rates are higher among mouth cancer patients than patients suffering from cervical cancer or melanoma skin cancer.
Most cases of oral cancer are linked to tobacco and alcohol. Cigarette, cigar and pipe smoking are the main forms of tobacco use in the UK. Alcohol increases the risk of mouth cancer, and if tobacco and alcohol are consumed together the risk is even greater. Over-exposure to sunlight can also increase the risk of cancer of the lips.
Many recent reports have linked mouth cancer to the human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is the major cause of cervical cancer and affects the skin that lines the moist areas of the body.
For more information on Mouth Cancer and to find out how you can help visit www.mouthcancerfoundation.org.
Children at Riverbank Primary School in Cardiff received lessons on how to look after their teeth as part of the Bamboo education programme for schools in Wales.
Staff from Bamboo Dental visited the school to speak to the children about the importance of brushing their teeth as part of National Smile Month.
The schools head teacher, Amanda Gibson Evan said: “The children were taught how to brush their teeth properly and how to keep them clean in a fun and informative way.
“We are really pleased that Dr Dan Rogers and his team took time out of their busy schedules to come to our school and promote dental awareness and being the first primary school in Cardiff visited by Dr Rogers was an honour.
She added: “It’s important to make the message fun so that the children enjoy it and understand the message we are trying to get across.”
Principle dentist Dan Rogers said: “Dental hygiene and looking after your teeth is a very important health message. “It’s better to speak to the children at an early age and try and get them to understand the important of brushing your teeth. This is something that I feel very passionate about.
“The visits seemed to go down very well. The children enjoyed the class and their smileys and hopefully they have understood the message.”
Dan aims to visit schools in Wales on a monthly basis to promote dental health to young people. So watch out for Dan as his next visit could be your school!
Staff and patients at Bamboo Dental in Cardiff joined over 300 practices across the UK by sporting their pink t-shirts for Smile in Pink day to help raise money for Bridge2Aid.
The event took place last Friday (June 6) raising £400. Bamboo team members put up a Bridge2Aid collection box, balloons, and treated the children to free stickers and oral education leaflets.
Bamboo’s Principle Dental Surgeon, Dan Rogers said: “It’s always great to take part in charity events and smiley pink days are always enjoyable for both the staff and patients. Who would have thought that pink would be my colour!
“What a fantastic day we have had! Our thanks go to everyone who took part in the day we’ve loved seeing your pink clothes, all the while raising vital funds and awareness of our dental training programmes in East Africa. It was also good to see our patients impressed with our efforts and in good spirits.”
Bridge2Aid is a dental charity based in Mwanza, Tanzania who trains rural-based Health Workers in developing countries, providing them with the skills, equipment and resources that they will need to provide emergency dental care in a world where a shocking 75% of the population currently do not have access to a dentist.
Have you ever wondered where your donations go?
- 75% of the world’s population has no access to a Dentist
- Since 2005, the charity has trained 310 Health Workers in emergency dental care
- 3,100000 people living in East Africa’s rural communities have been provided with access to Emergency Dental Care because of Bridge2Aid’s proven dental training programmes
- 25,916 people in East Africa have been treated and relieved of their dental pain for free during our dental training programmes
- 604 dental volunteers have taken part in a Dental Volunteer Programme
This year the British Dental Health Foundation is partnering fellow dental charity Bridge2Aid to support their first ever Smile in Pink for Bridge2Aid.
Staff at Cardiff’s Bamboo Dental will be supporting the charity by dressing up in pink in a show of support for bringing dental pain relief to some of the most remote communities in the world.
Bamboo’s Principle dental surgeon, Dan Rogers said: “Our practice will be supporting the event by wearing pink t-shirts, and decorating the practice with balloons, posters and a collection box. We are also visiting a number of schools as part of a dental education programme. The first of these is Riverbank Special School who I will be visiting on Friday, where all children will receive a free Smiley.
He added: “Educating children about the importance of dental health is something that I feel very passionate about and what better time to do this than National Smile Month with lots of fun education awareness activities and events are happening.”
Bridge2Aid provides emergency dentistry training for health workers in east Africa and focuses on sustainability, and empowering local people to improve their own lives over the long term. The charity has trained over 310 local health workers in emergency dentistry since 2005, and now trains 60 health workers each year. This training has not only directly treated tens of thousands of people but has extended access to emergency dentistry services to people living in rural areas.
The charity has also introduced the National Smile Month Smiley to its patients in East Africa, and in countries such as Tanzania, to help to educate them about the importance of oral health.
The British Heath Foundation and Bridge2Aid believe that paying attention to oral health is vital, and want people in both the UK and throughout the world to understand the steps to protect their oral health.
It’s been an exciting time here at Bamboo Dental as we’ve been preparing for Christmas and the New Year.
On the 6th of December we attended the prestigious Dentistry Awards 2013 in Leicester, where our very own dentist Dr Daniel Rogers took home the award for Best Young Dentist in Wales and the South West England.
We’re very proud of him and want to thank you all for your lovely messages of congratulations!
To Celebrate Bamboo’s success, we are sharing our joy with a little festive spirit, and have one Philips Sonicare DiamondClean electric toothbrush worth £250 to give away!
You could be in with a chance to win it, so read on to find out more.
The Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean electric toothbrush is designed to improve oral health whilst whitening teeth.
The elegant black limited edition brush has a impressive range of features.
It removes up to 7 X more plaque than a manual toothbrush, can rapidly improve gum health and can whiten teeth twice as effectively as a manual toothbrush.
It features a special sensitive mode for delicate cleaning, as well as a dynamic cleaning action which drives fluid between the teeth ensuring the best level of dental hygiene. It comes complete with dual charging system, ‘charging glass’ and travel case.
This is a really excellent prize and we are very happy to be offering it to one of you!
The Closing Date and How to Enter… You have until 12 th of January to make your entry. Please see below for details… Good Luck!! and Enter Now!!
How To Enter
Entering the competition is simple, all you need to do is :
2) Then click on the like button to become a fan of our Facebook page
3) Comment on the Facebook competition post so we know that you have entered.
4) Every Facebook entry enters you once into the competition.
5) It’s as simple as that! On the 12th January 2014 we will then select at random a winner and that could be you!!
6) If you can – refer a friend, and don’t forget to check out our website: www.Bamboodental.co.uk
Terms & Conditions
1) This Competition is organised by Bamboodental.co.uk
2) This Competition is only available to UK residents and is not available to employees or contractors of Bamboodental.co.uk or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organisation or running of a Competition, or their families. Persons resident in a country or jurisdiction outside the UK where a Competition may breach any law or regulation may not enter.
3) Credit card details will need to be taken as a security deposit at time of allocation.
4) No pets are allowed.
5) The prize is non-transferable and there will be no cash alternatives. Bamboodental.co.uk reserves the right to alter the advertised prize in circumstances out of our control but the alternative prize will be of an equal or greater value.
6) Bamboodental.co.uk does not accept responsibility for late, lost, damaged or corrupted entries.
7) Bamboodental.co.uk reserves the right to cancel or amend any Competition or the Terms without notice in the event of any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside Bamboodental.co.uk’s reasonable control. Any changes will be posted on this Competition page(s). If there is any dispute regarding the Terms, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of Bamboodental.co.uk shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
We have had a great day with Shark Biscuit Productions having our photos taken to show everyone the great team that makes up Bamboo Dental.
We have been thrilled to have collaborated with Shark Biscuit Production on our launch of our new brand “Bamboo Dental”.